Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fried Cabbage w/ Kielbasa

What's Cookin at The Mermaid's Table?

Since I love to cook,  I decided to add a new dimension to MyBDE with The Mermaid's Table.  I will be featuring yummy  recipes I have tried  as well as long time family and personal favorites. I will try and post meals  as they happen in my kitchen with tips, tricks and instructions.  I am single so don't think a new recipe will appear everyday..hell..much less every week..but when I do get around to making something awesome..be prepared to put  on a few pounds!!  I  welcome all  comments on variations, improvements and/or pretty much anything you feel you would like to say!!

You are probably thinking.."What does this have to do with your BDE" well my answer to that is..when I'm bored or I feel down there is nothing like being creative to take your mind off things. I put on my favorite music or a baseball game and pretty much behave like I am an Iron Chef..( just slightly - challenged).
Some people go to the gym..(yeah ..good for them..really ..I'm Jealous)  Some people Clean ( ah..Deb) Some People Drink ( who doesn't .at least no one I know) So Cooking for me is something that calms my tortured soul..and satiates ( for a short time) my demanding and extremely large appetite. When I'm doing these types of creative things..I feel Good..so..it just adds to My BDE.


On to the first Recipe:  SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE


I have grown up eating cabbage..I'm Polish..I make Golabki (stuffed cabbage rolls) every Christmas..much to my dismay at the stinky fart smell in my condo that lasts for days!!! But I do it because everyone loves it ( and because my mom would never let me forget it if I didn't)  It's my grandfathers recipe..but that one is for later...
SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE WITH KIELBASA*


Ingredients:
7/8 or as many as you want slices of bacon (mmmmm)
1 head of cabbage (cored and coarsley chopped)
1 TBS White Sugar
Salt and Pepper to Taste
3 TBS BUTTER
1  1 lb Pkg Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa
   (Or any kind of Sausage you like)

Directions:
1. Fry up the bacon in a deep skillet, remove and set aside.
2. In that same skillet with that hot , yummy, fat-free bacon grease..throw in that chopped up cabbage and stir to coat with the fat-free grease as best you can, chuck in the butter, salt, pepper and put a lid on it..
3. Cook that heavenly cabbage on a medium heat ,covered, stirring that smelly goodness around occasionally. I left it on the stove for a good 30 minutes..I like my cabbage limpy and soft..but with just a little crunch..you can test it yourself ever 15 minutes or so. the cabbage gets all brown around the edges, almost carmelized..but not quite.
4. When its just about done to your liking..cut up your kielbasa (or whatever sausage you choose) ( I cut into 4" chunks) and put right on top of the cabbage...cover and cook another 10 minutes or so..
5. Crunch up the bacon and sprinkle it on top and YOU ARE DONE!


My beverage of choice was Samuel Adams: Irish Red --  I have never had it but I LIKED IT!!


I really enjoyed this meal..it had just a slight amount of sweetness which nicley complemented the savory flavors..very, very yummy..if you like cabbage.

Oh and the stinky fart smell is quite minimal as its only cooking for 30-40 minutes compared to my 2-3 hours for the Holiday Golabki!!


na zdrowie (sounds like:Naz-dro-vyeh")

( polish for health, idiomatically, to your health  - basically it means Cheers) when sharing a drink,just say it when you clink  glasses

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Please stop by my blog, I have an award for you! :)

    Angela from Angela's Soliloquy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love kielbasa!

    Popping in from Twitter to let you know about my new movie about a Mommy Blogger! Follow me @MotherhoodFilm for chances to win tickets, prizes and more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from SITS to say hi! Just startted following and I'll be back to check out your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "stinky fart smell"..........that has got to be the first time I've seen that in a cooking article, or anywhere for that matter! LOL

    Since I don't belong in the kitchen ( re: Killer Spaghetti Sauce ), I'll approach the Mermaid Tables as a "consumer" rather than a "cook".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the wicked sweet comment on my blog!!! And this meal? YUM!!!!! xoxox

    ~Jenn (Ex Hot Girl)

    ReplyDelete

Are YOU having your Best Day Ever..let me know!!